... that we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith, both yours and mine. Romans 1:12

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Evidence That True Religion Lies in the Affections I-V

"That religion which God requires, and will accept, does not consist in a weak, dull, and lifeless wishes, raising us but a little above a state of indifference... It is such a ferverant vigorous engagedness of the heart in religion that is the fruit of a real circumcision of the heart, or true regeneration, and that the promises of life."

If our heart is not bent toward God there is no way we can have affections for God. God calls us to a relationship that is passionate and wild. I was reminded of this as I read this section. If our heart is not inclined toward the Lord in any way then it is important we check the status of out heart.

Another aspect of true religion that stands out to me is that true religion has the power to overcome and defeat sin and bondage. I am not saying that we are not going to struggle and that we are never going to be defeated but I think the real issue is the status of where we are living, are we living in victory or defeat!

When Edwards says, "The author of human nature has not only given affections to men, but has made them very much the spring of men's actions" I think he is speaking accurately. We do what we want to do. I don't eat certain foods because I don't like them!!! The same is true of religion! If we desire Godliness we will seek it, if we desire worldliness we will be found in it!

A few of the evidences that Edwards lists: Fear, hope, love, hatred of sin, joy, godly sorrow and mourning, thankfulness, mercy, and zeal. (Which reminds me of the fruit of the spirit!)

The most profound concept that I grasped from this section was that the chief of the affections is love and it is the "fountain of all other affections." In recent days a man said that he was challenged by a lady who told someone that the way to have a relationship with Jesus Christ is to fall in love with Him. I was unsure of how I felt about that at the time. It has been brought back to my mind numerous times. After reading these evidences of true religion I am beginning to see that if I am truly falling in love with Jesus Christ then I am deepening my affections for Him and walking in a more pure manner!

What do you think?!?! I am anxious to here your assessment of the section!!

No comments: