... that we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith, both yours and mine. Romans 1:12

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Telitha's Thoughts on I - V

I have read over this section several times, and each time I do, it becomes more sweet to me, so I am excited to put some of my thoughts down on paper, well sort of paper.

In nothing is vigour in the actings of our inclinations so requisite as in religion; and in nothing is luke-warmness so odious.


If ever there was an area of our lives that we should be strongly passionate about, it is our affection for Jesus Christ. This world is passing away, yet we are often vigourous in our pursuit of it and complacent in our pursuit of God, who is eternal. Which would bring me to the next part of this section that I really liked.

Edwards talked about the different affections that Scripture refers to: fear, hope, love, hatred, desiring/hungering/thirsting, joy, sorrow/mourning/brokenness, gratitude/thankfulness/praise, compassion/mercy, and zeal. He quoted several scriptures to support each affection, but the one that I most liked was how we are to desire or hunger and thirst after God. Psalm 84:1 and 2 "How amiable are thy tabernacles, O Lord of hosts! My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the Lord: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God" and Psalm 63:1-2 "My soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee, in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; to see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary."

And then there is the wonderful promise He makes to us in Matt 5:6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied."

I want to desire and long after the Lord Jesus Christ, and praise God, He is always faithful to His promises.

He hates luke-warmness, and tells the Laodecians in Revelation that he wants to spit them out of His mouth. How odious it is in true religion.

Finally, Edwards talked about how religion takes hold of men's souls only as far as it affects them. When I was reflecting on this thought of Edwards' I thought about the truth that simple knowledge is not enough to bring salvation or prove true religion, but our hearts must also be affected by the truth that we know. "Nor was ever on induced to fly for refuge unto Christ, while his heart remained unaffected."

BRING ON THE NEXT SECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: