... that we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith, both yours and mine. Romans 1:12

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

VI - X

Edwards says of the apostle Paul:

"It appears by all his expressions of himself, that he was, in the course of his life, inflamed, actuated, and entirely swallowed up, by a most ardent love to his glorious Lord, esteeming all things as loss, for the excellency of the knowledge of Him, and esteeming them but dung that he might win Him."

This has become a very important thought to me lately. Today I listened to John Piper speak about John Bunyan and the sufferings that he endured including the loss of his mother and sister, a blind child, the death of his first wife, and 12 years of imprisonment, yet his attitude seemed to be one of joy because even though he had lost all earthly things he had gained intimacy with Christ. As I was thinking about this I questioned the value I put on Christ compared to my earthly relationships. Could I lose all of them to suffer for Christ and count it all joy? That is a tough question, but one worth considering I think.

In addition to this statement about Paul's affection for Christ, Edwards quotes several passages in which Paul displays his affections for the church. And so I have come to the conclusion that affection for Christ is necessary in true religion, but so is affection for the body of Christ. And Christ himself displays both of these affections as Edwards points out "He was the greatest instance of ardency, vigour and strenth of love, to both God and man, that ever was."

Next, in evidence VIII he discusses the idea that in heaven there will be very strong affections, and as an example he says this, "The way to learn the true nature of anything is to go where that thing is to be found in its purity and perfection. If we would know the nautre of true gold we must view it, not in the ore, but when it is refined. If we would learn what true religion is, we must go where there is true religion, and nothing but true religion, and in its highest perfection, without any defect or mixture." In heaven there will be no false teachers or false religion. It is hard to grasp the whole, complete nature of these affections here in our corrupted flesh and corrupted world, but in heaven it is undefiled.

Finally, Edwards closes his last evidence with a statement about how true religion must produce affections. I love doctrine, and I am passionate about Jesus Christ, but if I have one and not the other do I really have true religion? I think that doctrine should produce passion and affections for Jesus Christ, or the doctrine is worthless. Likewise a passion for Christ that is not based on biblical doctrine is worthless. Great section!!!! What are you thoughts, Kara?

No comments: