... that we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith, both yours and mine. Romans 1:12

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Part II - It could be true faith or not

Well, I just lost everything that I wrote on this section as well. MAN!

Okay, here I go again. This section was a struggle for me, but it is okay, because it is Jonathan Edwards, and some things are probably going to be a struggle.

This section explains evidences and outward expressions that neither prove nor disprove true faith. He begins with 1) strong affections/emotions and 2) physical responses (ie groaning, fainting, trembling, etc...).

Now, I have had to evaluate myself as we have read through this and come to terms with the fact that I have built up a prejudice against showing strong emotions in my faith. It began as an aversion to letting my faith be controlled by my emotions (which I think is good) since they are constantly changing, but God is always steadfast in His promises and character. However, Edwards has made a convincing case that the expression of strong emotions is not only good, but it is required:

"The scripture often requires us to exercise very high affections: thus in the first and great commandment of the law, there is an accumulation of expressions, as though words were wanting to express the degree in which we ought to love God: 'Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, with all thy mind, and with all thy strength.'"

So may the Lord continue to teach us as we continue on to the next section.

No comments: